Re: taxonomy is not stratigraphy (was Re: JVP 25(2): New Dinos, Birds, Discoveries)

Perhaps I misinterpret a couple of recent posts, but--

I was taught that the largest herbivore is always
larger than the largest predator. The quantitative
size differential may be affected by various
strategies (e.g., in predators; pack vs solitary
hunting, and in prey; defensive herding behavior,
armor), but the general trend is intact through time.
I am also under the impression that when graphed such
that the y axis = kg, and the x axis = geologic time,
there is a strong positive correlation between largest
herbivore and largest predator.

Surely the fact that the herbivores sometimes (or even
usually) "win" doesn't falsify the hypothesis that
there is a mutual selection for size operating within
the "top" predator/prey relationship? After all, if
the prey doesn't "win" the size race, swift extinction
is a likely result for both, in which case they might
not appear in your data base.

Sauropods may have "won", and packhunting tyrannosaurs
may have turned to smaller prey. After morphing into
solitary hunter/scavengers, intra-specific competition
for food and the implications of a solitary hunting
technique might have dealt the final cards relative to
the size of tyrannosaurs. This doesn't de-couple the
more general evolutionary relationship between
sauropods/therapods relative to size. Details may
never be available, but isn't safe to assume that
sauropods were subject to predation at all times, and
were affected in the evolutionary sense?