Re: Dinosaurs Breathed Like Birds

--- Andrew Simpson <deathspresso@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I like the hard to pronounce names like
> Opusthocoelicaudia as long as the mean something.
> (posterior cavity tail referring to it's bizarre
> rigid
> tail) I think dinosaur names should mean something
> and
> generally not just a place name. What does
> Diplodocus
> mean? Double Beam. What does Ut@hraptor mean?
> Plunderer of Utah. Hey, it's never been to Utah let
> alone plundered it.
>
> I don't mind so much what's his name calling his
> find
> DRINKER (he is, like all paleontologists, an
> alcho...
> kidding)  I am somewhat understanding of countries
> and
> occasionally provinces having dinosaurs named after
> them, how many ways can you describe a Sauropod.
> Bigosaurus? And I understand the Chinese animals
> being
> named for local rivers we would have most likely
> never
> heard of, but I do mind those people who named their
> two dino finds after their kids. That's just rude.
> The
> 2nd part of the name can and should be whatever you
> want it to be. Tarbosaurs Toby or Stegosaurus Betty,
> though silly shounding, to me is fine.
>
> First part should be some kind of description of the
> animal the second part can be named after your cat
> or
> goldfish.
>
> Who agrees?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is all assuming, of course, that the new find
warrants generic status. Though, I suppose if it
doesn't, then the differences are probably not large
enough to warrant mentioning in the name anyway.

I do agree though; descriptive names are far better
than names that just honour some person, or explain
where the critter came from.

The occasional humourous name can be fun too (e.g.
_Ninjemys_ and the former _Montypythonoides_). The
important thing in those cases, is to make sure the
humourous names remain occasional.

Jason

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs