Re: Dinosaurs Breathed Like Birds

> This is so often stated that it was Bakker who
> introduced, or reintroduced, the concept that
> Dinosaurs were not sluggish, slow, dim-witted,
> lumbering beasts but were actually active and social.
> He may have brought this mode of thinking to a wider
> audience but who here ever actually thought of
> dinosaurs as slow and sluggish creatures? I probably
> read such things in my early dinosaur books too (slow
> and stupid) but I never considered them to be anything
> less than full on action oritented creatures. Did
> anyone ever pit their Marx T-Rex and Brontosaurus in a
> slow motion battle? Where the only reason Brontosaurus
> lost was because he started eating bolders and sand
> because he was so dumb? Was there ever movies made
> where the dinosaurs meandered slowly and unmenacingly
> accross the screen? No matter how many times we were
> told about how dumb the Stegosaurus was because of its
> walnut brain did we every start really thinking it was
> a the chowder head of the Jurassic? I tend to think
> not.
>
> I take nothing away from Bakker, Well, with the
> exception of suggesting the worst name in Dinosaur
> Nomenclature; Ut@hRaptor.
>
> Andrew Simpson

Dear Andrew and List,

    Hey!! I just so happen to like the Name Utahraptor. My only beef was
half of it's species name, Ostrommaysoum, is in honor of the president of
the now defunct Dinomation.Of course the flip side is that the first part of
it's species name honors John Ostrom.

Lives in Eastern Utah, 50 miles from the Yellow Cat Quarrie, Cliff