Re: taxonomy is not stratigraphy (was Re: JVP 25(2): New Dinos, Birds, Discoveri

From: Ivan Kwan <dino_rampage@hotmail.com>
To: qilongia@yahoo.com, dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: taxonomy is not stratigraphy (was Re: JVP 25(2): New Dinos, Birds, Discoveri
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 05:36:29 +0800

In any case, the idea that theropods evolved gigantism in response to the ever-increasing size of sauropods is a tantalising idea, but unfortunately one that I'm afraid is difficult to test, due to the imperfection of the fossil record. However, at the moment, at least, I think we do have evidence that it was the herbivores that first 'developed' the tendency to grow to much larger sizes, case in point being the prosauropods/basal sauropodomorphs. Unless there are actually some 20-foot long coelophysians/herrerasaurs/avepods that I've forgotten about.

Ivan

There are a few coelophysoids in the 20-foot range. *Gojirasaurus quayi*, *Dilophosaurus wetherilli*...