Re: Dinosaurs Breathed Like Birds

Bizarre for sure, but isn't it supposed to have been more mobile than if the
proximal and distal faces of the centra would have been flat?

> <What does Ut@hraptor mean? Plunderer of Utah.

Erm... no, just "Utah robber". It doesn't need to plunder Utah. It's enough
if it comes from Utah and plunders some other place, for example.

>   Well, Bakker is a fan of Cope's, and because Marsh had a dinosaur named
> for HIS middle name, Othneil, Bakker felt Edward DRINKER Cope should get
> one too.

Marsh was Othniel Charles, not Charles Othniel... but of course Charles and
Edward used to be rather common names, while there aren't so many Othniels
and Drinkers around as to produce potential confusion... pun inevitable...

> It's very hard, however, to name a dinosaur after a condition of
> the laminae.

Quote of the week!

> *Austrosaurus*/*Antarctosaurus* [which means south, not from the
> Antarctic]).

Technically, auster is the wind from the south in Latin (they had no names
for the directions, only for the winds!), while everything anti-arctic is
opposite the place where there are all the bears (brown bear: *Ursus
arctos*).

> Leaellyn Rich,

Two names: Lea Ellyn. At least it's comprehensible why people would call
their daughter Lea. :-)

> For example, *Eotyrannus* is probably _not_ the
> earliest (aka, "dawn") tyrannosauroid,

Well, it's still early enough.

> whereas *Ekrixinatosaurus*

Argh! I knew I had messed the name up! Thanks! Now this opens the question
of what to do with the x. It might be supposed to be pronounced sh. Or not.