Re: John Ostrom

> Listers,
>
> I'm saddened to report that early this morning (16
> July 2005), Professor
> John Ostrom passed away from the complications of
> Alzheimer Disease.
>
> A loss of a wonderful friend, a fine mind, and a
> great scholar.
>
> Alan
> Alan H Brush
> brushes2@juno.com
> 92 High Street
> Mystic, CT. 06355
> (860) 572-1717

I am deeply saddened to hear of the loss of one of the
greatest paleontologists of our time, and a great man,
and a real inspiration.

I had the great fortune to correspond with Dr. Ostrom
when I was only 9 years old, and again when I was 12.
He has always inspired my love of paleontology, and
did so with graciousness--I will always be grateful to
him for taking the time to converse with and send
materials to a young budding paleontologist.

I had hoped to speak with him more recently to tell
him again how much his correspondence and kindness
from years past has meant to me; and I am now in
college working on the same theropod footprint site he
had first mapped in the early 1970s.  But I had heard
he was not well.  I only wish that I had.

He will be greatly missed.  My heartfelt condolences
to everyone who knew him.

Taormina Lepore

---

University of Massachusetts, Amherst