Re: Dinosaurs Breathed Like Birds

David Marjanovic wrote:

> <I like the hard to pronounce names like Op[i]sthocoelicaudia as long as
> the mean something. (posterior cavity tail referring to it's bizarre
> rigid tail)

Bizarre for sure, but isn't it supposed to have been more mobile than if the
proximal and distal faces of the centra would have been flat?

I would have said so. Opisthocoelous is the procoelous condition in reverse - the ball-and-cup articulations are common to both. The opisthocoelous condition refers to the cup on the back side of the centrum, which articulated with the ball-like front side of the next centrum. _Opisthocoelicaudia_ possessed the opisthocoelous condition for much of the length of the tail, including the beginning. _Opisthocoelicaudia_ was not the only titanosaur to have at least one opisthocoelous caudal vertebra; this is also seen in _Rinconsaurus_ and _Borealosaurus_.

One Asian sauropod was to be named "Amphicoelicaudia".

Marsh was Othniel Charles, not Charles Othniel... but of course Charles and
Edward used to be rather common names, while there aren't so many Othniels
and Drinkers around as to produce potential confusion... pun inevitable...

Apparently Marsh hated the name 'Othniel'.

Cheers

Tim