Re: Dinosaurs Breathed Like Birds

2005/7/17, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>:
> > *Austrosaurus*/*Antarctosaurus* [which means south, not from the
> > Antarctic]).
>
> while everything anti-arctic is opposite the place where there are all the
> bears
> (brown bear: *Ursus arctos*).

I dont't think so. Probably it's a reference to the constellation Ursa
Minor, which contains the Polaris (the Polar Star, hence celestial
north pole, hence north pole, hence north). (Arctos is the greek term
for bear.)

http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/constellations/Ursa_Minor.html

Well, we could establish a contest: which is the worst dinosaur
generic name ever coined?

My votes go to: Gasosaurus (in honor to the gas company that funded
the research) and Technosaurus (every time that I hear it I
immediately think in Drumbassaurus, Acidjazzsaurus, Ravesaurus...)

[]s,

Roberto Takata