[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]

Re: Dinosaurs Breathed Like Birds




--- "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Andrew Simpson (deathspresso@yahoo.com) wrote:
> 
> <The name should reflect how you would feel if one
> of them was actually after
> you. How do you say Absolute Terror in Greek?
> Terror-saurus?
> Savage-ravage-damage Raptor.>
> 
>   Aside from the innane use of "Ut@hraptor" instead
> of the taxon label (you
> don't get to pick the names others have coined),
> using emotive descriptive
> labels for behaviors we can't observe has been
> almost as argued over as using
> silly names like *Ninjemys* (ninja turtle). Do we
> get to rename
> *Daspletosaurus* (frightful lizard) because people
> don't feel frightened in
> it's presence? It may have been the most passive
> tyrannosaur in existence. Does
> it fill you with fright? If something is aweful,
> does it full you with awe?
> Language is used for many purposes, including
> conveying an idea, or memorialize
> a nickname, or to describe a joke. Examples of these
> are so old, there are
> websites about unusual names including types of
> Japanese crustaceans named for
> Godzilla (which are fairly big for their group). As
> mentioned before, from the
> very beginning, names have been described for all
> forms of allusion,
> descritpion, and jokes, so stating what "should" be
> is merely a personal
> reflection on names which one _likes_.
> 
>   However, when you find a taxon that is unique, you
> are free to name it as you
> wish, but history is full of funny and cute names
> like *Gollum*, so using one's
> personal opinions on "pleasing" names is rather
> subjective and doesn't
> neccessarily fulfill the function of taxonomy
> (labeling taxa for simplicity in
> communication -- thus there is only one *Ninjemys*).
> 
>   Cheers,
> 
> Jaime A. Headden

I cannot discount any of your points. I am in full
agreement that those who find SHOULD be free to name
things as the will. Freedom in all forms in something
I hold most dear. I will acquiesce and attempt to use
the name utahrap... (baby steps) and respect the names
given without trying to change them. I do however
retain the right to dislike names and the wish that
names reflected, if not the dinosaur itself, then
those of us who study dinosaurs by not using the name
for their own personal... well, whatever.

I cannot and would not then mount an argument for
control but one maybe for restraint and for perhaps a
dialogue with those who get to name dinosaurs. 

in an unrelated matter...

I would like to announce the discovery of an entirely
new species and genus of dinosaur I have recently
found and unearthed. A creature so unique it will
expand and alter our views on dinosauria for all that
is time. Feeling pretty darn good about myself I have
decided to name it
AndrewSimpsonLordandMasteroftheUniverse-Ruler of all
he Survays-Kingofpaleontologicalstudyosaurustopsodon

ADS

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com