Re: Dinosaurs Breathed Like Birds

Roberto Takata wrote:

My votes go to: Gasosaurus (in honor to the gas company that funded
the research) and Technosaurus (every time that I hear it I
immediately think in Drumbassaurus, Acidjazzsaurus, Ravesaurus...)

The name _Gasosaurus_ does indeed reference a local gas-mining company. However, there is a double meaning in that the Chinese name *qilong* translates loosely as "gas-dragon" or "gas-lizard" - formed from the words *qi* (energy, flow, air, gas) and *leong*/*long* (dragon, king, emperor).

BTW, I'm not sure that the gas company actuallly funded the excavation, or the ensuing research. The version I heard (which may be incorrect) says that Dong Zhiming named the specimen _Gasosaurus_ to placate the company, who wanted to build on the fossil site. Naming the dinosaur in their honor was part of the negotiations. That's also the spirit behind the species name _constructus_, I believe.

Well, we could establish a contest: which is the worst dinosaur generic name ever coined?

My nomination is _Bambiraptor_.

Technosaurus (every time that I hear it I immediately think in Drumbassaurus, Acidjazzsaurus, Ravesaurus...)

It's supposed to make you think of Texas Tech University. :-)

Andrew Simpson wrote:

 Feeling pretty darn good about myself I have decided to name it
AndrewSimpsonLordandMasteroftheUniverse-Ruler of all
he Survays-Kingofpaleontologicalstudyosaurustopsodon

Yeah, that name really rolls of the tongue, doesn't it?

Actually, ICZN rules frown on naming a species after oneself.

Cheers

Tim