Re: Dinosaurs Breathed Like Birds

Andrew Simpson (deathspresso@yahoo.com) wrote:

<I would like to announce the discovery of an entirely new species and genus of
dinosaur I have recently found and unearthed. A creature so unique it will
expand and alter our views on dinosauria for all that is time. Feeling pretty
darn good about myself I have decided to name it
AndrewSimpsonLordandMasteroftheUniverse-Ruler of all he
Survays-Kingofpaleontologicalstudyosaurustopsodon>

  Well, the ICZN mandates NO hyphens, and strongly suggests one makes a name
that is pronouncable. Hence the !oisan word n!weba becomes transcribed as
"nqweba" for the purposes of pronounciation (not everyone can form the "click"
sound of ! in !oisan (Khoisan, "Qoisan", aka the "Click" language), one is free
to name anything anything. It's considered bad form, unwritten rule and all
that, to name taxa after oneself, however.

  BTW, I wasn't trying to make you aquiesce to my points, but instead deal with
the "should" issue. Choice is choice, and nomenclature, while it has form,
should also be functional in some way. This functional use of the name is
related to communication almost exclusively. So if a name becomes an impediment
to communication ...

  So you might want to shorten the name.... ;)

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden