Re: The Ostromidae

Following up on Brother Holtz' comments, let me add an appreciation of
John Ostrom of my own:

I entered Yale as a grad student in the Fall of 1973.  My background
was in ecology and herpetology, but I'd been interested in dinosaurs
since childhood.  All I knew about grad school was that I wanted to do
something that combined ecology and dinosaur paleontology.  I couldn't
have chosen a better school.  Yale in the early 70s was an incredibly
stimulating place.  Older VP grad students included Peter Dodson (who
became something of a mentor to me in my early years at Yale), Phil
Gingerich, and Rich Kay, and of course Bob Bakker's influence lingered
after his departure for Harvard.  We used to get together for coffee in
the VP lab at 10 and 3, discussing paleo, ecology, functional
morphology--anything and everything connected to paleo.  Most or all of
the papers I published as a graduate student originated in those
discussions, or in the weekly VP seminar, and I was turned onto some
research paths that I follow to this day.

I am very proud to say that I was an Ostrom grad student.  Even though
my thesis ultimately dealt with modern marine ecology rather than
dinosaurs, John showed never-ending interest in what I was doing.  Oddly
enough, when I finally got a job, it was as a paleontologist rather than
a marine ecologist.  I've never looked back--and for that, too, I thank
John Ostrom.  I will miss him greatly.