From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
To: dinosaur <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: The Ostromidae
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:44:50 -0400

Greetings,

I have just returned to the office after coming back from Japan, to the sad news about John Ostrom's death. It isn't terribly a
shock as such, but it is still sad now that it has happened.

The modern vision of Dinosauria stems primarily from Ostrom's work. When he got into the field, dinosaurs were stupid
swamp-dwellers, generally unworthy of research by real scientists. There were only a tiny number of dinosaur researchers working at
the middle of the 20th Century. At the time of his passing, dinosaur paleontologists are at least as productive as
paleomammologists, and our understanding of these creatures has been forever changed.

David Peter's asked about the academic lineage of Ostrom. Going back in time takes us along a direct chain to T.H. Huxley > H.F.
Osborn > W.K. Gregory > Ned Colbert > John.

Ostrom himself was one of the most prolific in the number of influential students he talked. Bakker was an undergraduate with him; I
have no idea how many others fall under that category.

Among the ostromid graduate students are (by no means inclusive here, just the ones I can think of off hand): Jim Mead, Phil
Gingerich, Peter Dodson, Kevin Padian, Jim Farlow (who finished up in a different field, but obviously came back to paleo!), Mike
Fracasso, Glenn Storrs, Mark Norell, Makoto Manabe, me, Christine Chandler, Dan Brinkman, Lana McNeil. Via Peter Dodson we got Cathy
Forster (and thence Kristina Curry-Rogers), Anusya Chinsamy, Tony Fiorillo, Dave Weishampel (and thence Larry Witmer (and now HIS
students), Brenda Chinnery, and others), Josh Smith, Matt Lamanna, Jerry Harris. Via Padian we get Jacques Gauthier (and from him
recent Yale graduates such as Julia Clarke), Tim Rowe (and his students out of UT Austin, like Chris Brochu, John Merck, etc.), John
Hutchinson, and others. Makoto is advising a number of students in Japan, and has really increased academic vertebrate paleontology
in Japan. Norell has obviously been extremely influential!! Through me, there are a few on the way...

Ostrom will be missed, but his impact will last for a long time.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117