Re: Dinosaurs Breathed Like Birds

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Williams" <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 6:43 PM

The name _Gasosaurus_ does indeed reference a local gas-mining company.
However, there is a double  meaning in that the Chinese name *qilong*
translates loosely as "gas-dragon" or "gas-lizard" - formed from the words
*qi* (energy, flow, air, gas)

Well... "air" and "anger" among other things... dictionary entry: http://www.zhongwen.com/d/174/x240.htm

and *leong*

Is that Cantonese? ~:-|

/*long* (dragon, king, emperor).

Just dragon. King = wáng (like the common surname... not like that of Wang Xiaolin), emperor = dì, huángdì http://zhongwen.com/d/172/x211.htm, so *Dilong* is the Imperial Dragon.

BTW, I'm not sure that the gas company actuallly funded the excavation, or
the ensuing research. The version I heard (which may be incorrect) says
that Dong Zhiming named the specimen _Gasosaurus_ to placate the company,
who wanted to build on the fossil site. Naming the dinosaur in their honor
was part of the negotiations. That's also the spirit behind the species
name _constructus_, I believe.

Interesting.

Well, we could establish a contest: which is the worst dinosaur generic
name ever coined?

My nomination is _Bambiraptor_.

Why? It's cute. :-)

 Feeling pretty darn good about myself I have decided to name it
AndrewSimpsonLordandMasteroftheUniverse-Ruler of all
he Survays-Kingofpaleontologicalstudyosaurustopsodon

Yeah, that name really rolls of the tongue, doesn't it?

Actually, ICZN rules frown on naming a species after oneself.

Besides, they forbid spaces and hyphens and internal upper-case letters...