Quicksand

--- Ken.Carpenter@dmns.org wrote:

> Since the sediments encasing the Proto and Veloc are
> eolian (wind blow), the quicksand scenario doesn't
> work. Quicksand doesn't work in real life either,
> except in old Tarzan movies. I too have played in
> quicksand. It is seldom deep and animals doesn't get
> stuck in them. They do in the mud of drying ponds,
> but such sediments become mudstone geologically.
> There have been feet of various fossil vertebrates
> found standing in such sediments (including a
> sauropod at Tendaguru).

Are we absolutly sure that quicksand is not dangerous?
Are there levels of sand to liquid that would create
the classic 'I'm sinking and struggleing only makes it
worse' quicksand? Because the collective fear of
quicksand created by the Tarzan movies permiates
throughout the land 30 years after they were so
regularly aired.

What about dry quicksand? In Lawrence of Arabia and
Mad Max 3 they both show an instance of someone
getting suddenly sucked under and not getting back
out. Something like this could have taken them down
quick and held them in their battle pose.

Whatever took Romeo and Juliette down had to have been
pretty much instant.

http://dino.lm.com/artists/display.php?name=Kcarpenter