RE: Growth-spurt

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> TooTs
>
> Hi, everyone!
> I remember mention of a "growth-spurt" in at least one of the articles about
> "Jane".
> Is the "growth-spurt" secure or more on the speculative side?
> Are such "growth-spurts" known in other theropods?
> Thanks in advance
> Torsten van der Lubbe

"Growth Spurts" seem to be found in all the dinosaur fossil growth series
studied: the tyrannosaurids Tyrannosaurus, Daspletosaurus,
Gorgosaurus, and Albertosaurus; the alvarezsaurid Shuvuuia; the coelophysoid
Synt... er, Megap..., er, Coelophysis (;-); the
prosauropod Massospondylus; the diplodocoid Apatosaurus; the ceratopsian
Psittacosaurus; and the hadrosaurid Maiasaura. In fact,
MOST animals show some period of accelerated growth in their life cycle.

See
Erickson, G.M., K. Curry Rogers & S.A. Yerby. 2001. Dinosaurian growth patterns
and rapid avian growth rates. Nature 412: 429-433.
and
Erickson, G.M., P.J. Makovicky, P.J. Currie, M.A. Norell, S.A. Yerby & C.A.
Brochu. 2004. Gigantism and comparative life-history
parameters of tyrannosaurid dinosaurs. Nature 430:772-775.
for the details.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
        Mailing Address: