Re: More on the Massospondylus embryos

> "These animals do not have any teeth, and since they
> are ready to hatch, that is strange," said Robert
> Reisz of the University of Toronto at Mississauga in
> Canada, who led the study.
>
> "The only explanation for that is they must have
> been fed by the mother. That would be oldest
evidence > of parental care in the fossil record,"
Reisz added  > in a telephone interview.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Or that the young ate different material from the
adults. Parental care is not the only answer.

__________________________________

*snip*

> And the babies did not look like the parents. Adult
> prosauropods were slender and two-legged.
>
> The babies looked more like the dinosaurs that
> developed later, and they looked like the babies of
> animals such as birds and mammals, as opposed to the
> small but adult-proportioned young of reptiles.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I thought this myth was already dispelled. Baby
reptiles do have "baby faces" (see baby green iguanas,
or crocodiles for examples). They're just not born
naked, like a lot of mammals and birds; which is
something I doubt the authours were referring to.

> "The head is quite large. The pelvic girdle is very
> small. That's where most of the muscles that would
> be
> used for locomotion are located," Reisz said.
>
> "So we are suggesting this was a relatively helpless
> little hatchling."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hmm, many extant reptile species are born fairly
helpless, and actually spend time in their opened
eggshells absorbing the yolk (this can last for days).
I wonder if this might have been the case here, too.

Which is not to say that I am poo pooing the idea of
attentive parents. It just seems like the authours are
jumping to conclusions here. I'm just looking for
alternative explanations.

Jason

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs