Found: Type Specimen of _Mamenchisaurus hochuanensis_

For anyone else who cares ...

I wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:43:03 +0100
> From: Mike Taylor <mike@miketaylor.org.uk>
>
> Does anyone know the specimen number of the type specimen of
> _Mamenchisaurus hochuanensis_?  It's not in the English Translation of
> Young and Zhao 1972 that's available from the Polyglot Paleontologist:
>       http://ravenel.si.edu/paleo/paleoglot/files/Young&Zhao_72.pdf
> nor in the Glut encyclopedia, nor so far as I can tell in _D2_.

Thanks to a tip from Graeme Worth, I found the specimen number in
Wedel et al. 2000b, p. 380, caption to Fig. 21, which reads (in part):
"B. The holotype of _Mamenchisaurus hochuanensis_ (CCG V 20401,
redrawn from Young & Chao 1972) was preserved with the cervical ribs
in articulation, and the cervical series is oriented in more or less
the same direction as the anterior dorsal vertebrae."

(Now I need to find out where Matt got the specimen number from).

)_v__/\  "Fat Charlie the Archangel sloped into the room" -- Paul Simon,
         "Crazy Love, volume II"

Reference
---------

Wedel, M. J., R. L. Cifelli and R. K. Sanders.  2000.  Osteology,
paleobiology, and relationships of the sauropod dinosaur
Sauroposeidon.  Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 45(4): 343-388
        http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/pdf/2000/00-28.pdf