RE: Massospondylus embryos discovered

David Peters (davidrpeters@earthlink.net) wrote:

<Wonder how far back that "cute" gene goes? Euparkeria? We'll have to see...>

  We would need a juvenile *Euparkeria* to find this cute gene, perhaps.

  Criticizing the "cute gene" for a moment, the reason for cuteness appears to
be based on the typical short, high skull with short snout, huge head to body,
and huge eyes (probably doleful and puppy-like). This appears to refer to many
different developmental features preceeding birth. The Auca Mahuevo sauropod
embryos have it, juvenile *Lesothosaurus* skulls have it, *Jeholosaurus* has
it, juvenile *Coelophysis bauri* has it (though the skull I've seen is only a
bit more shorter-snouted than the *C. kayentakatae* skulls and so forth). Most
likely. Skulls of ichthyosaur juveniles, croc juveniles, lizard and snake
juveniles, turtle juveniles and so forth all have this "condition". Even
without parental care, it appears. BTW, this would mean, as has been stated
before, pterosaurs would also have the condition.

  Good luck!

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden