Re: Lenght of an "average" dinosaur? 6.7 m

Here it goes:

Peczkis J 1994 - Implications of body-mass estimates for dinosaurs.
Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 14(4): 520-33. Abstract - Body-mass
estimates have been made for 220 of the over 300 generally acepted
dinosaur genera. The 1-10 ton body-mass category is the modal one for
all dinosaur genera, dinosaurs on nearly every continent, dinosaurs
during most stages of the Mesozoic, and dinosaurs in two of the three
peak historical periods of dinosaur discoveries. Carnivorous dinosaurs
were much smaller thn herbivores during the Late Jurassic and again in
the Late Cretaceous: at other times the two were roughly equivalent in
mass. In terms of discovery of dinosaur genera over time, there has
been a simultaneous increase in proportion of very small (under 10 kg)
dinosaurs and a relative decline in giant dinosaurs (10-100 tons).
This suggests that early researchers tended to collect giant
dinosaurs.

body mass          # of genera
                all/carnivorous
   100g-1kg:          2/1
     1-10kg:         16/7
   10-100kg:         38/21
 100kg-1ton:         42/22
    1-10ton:         87/21
  10-100ton:         31/0

(I think that there were some restrictions on that paper...)

[]s,

Roberto Takata