Re: scapula question

David Peters (davidrpeters@earthlink.net) wrote:

<On various lizard skeletons you see what appears to be a "second story"
addition to the scapula. Now is this a less-ossified portion of the
original scapula? Or is it a novel extension of the the original scapula?
And finally, do we see it anywhere else but among the squamates?>

  This is the suprascapula, seen in (yes, most) lizards, as well as many
mammals and is likely to have been retained as an ossification center from
a dermal source throughout osteichthyans.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!