RE: Cleveland Lloyd - predator trap?

Quite correct about predator domination of SOME African watering holes.
The implication, however, is not that there were no sauropods or other
large herbivores visiting the water hole, it is rather that they may not
for some reason have remained/died at the site.  Whereas carnivores are
far more succeptable to succumbing to diseases such as botulism, from
eating rotting carcasses around the watering hole and disease may have
dessimated large numbers.  Herbivores, of course, would not have
suffered the same fate.  Similar cases of disease have been attributed
to other quarrys such as "Jack's Birthday Site" (Varricchio, 1995), and
a pleistocene quarry in Germany.