Re: Mesozoic mountains & Spinosaur sails with neighboring critters (2 threads)

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:03:50 +0000, Rodlox R <rodlox@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >My take on the theory that spinosaurs are derived coelophysids.
>
> via Dilophosaurus of JP & Bakker fame, yes?

This idea was put forward by Paul in 1988, but hasn't cropped up
anywhere else, TMK. Cladistic studies find _Dilophosaurus_ either as a
coelophysoid or as sharing slighly more recent ancestry with
(neo)ceratosaurs and tetanurans than with coelophysoids, and
spinosaurids as non-avetheropod tetanurans, often the sister taxon to
torvosaurids. The "gracile" build and the kinked snout of spinosaurids
and coelophysoids (and possibly of _Dilophosaurus_ as well) are
probably convergences.

--Mike Keesey