RE: Cleveland Lloyd - predator trap?

Quoting Ken.Carpenter@dmns.org:

>"The problem with disease and drought as killing mechanisms are that
>individuals die over a span of time, thus their carcasses are
>scattered
>across the landscape. In addition, there will be a range of
>disarticulation, with those dying earlier being more disarticulated
>than
>those dying later, prior to burial. As yet I do not believe that a
>suitable killing mechanism has been proposed for many (but not all)
>dinosaur quarries. This certainly applies to Ghost Ranch."

I agree Ken, that disease and drought are difficult to recognize in the
record.  I have to say that I don't necessarily agree that disease takes
a span of time to decimate a population, one diseased carcass could take
down a bunch of allosaurs in a very short period of time, especially if
they are feeding on one another as well.  Further, one would not
neccessarily expect carcasses be scattered across a landscape if they
are hanging around a water source in times of extreme drought.  I really
can't present all the evidence for Bucky's conclusions in this forum, if
one is interested one should await the Palios article this summer.
However, there are diffent levels of articulation in the quarry, and
those that aren't articulated are scattered across a relatively tight
radius.  Predator action, "dinoturbation", and the recharge of the water
source may have been enough to produce the diverse and scattered pattern
of articulated and associated elements seen in the quarry.

Quoting "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>:>
>   Wouldn't any site dominated by a host of animals dying by diseased
> feeding off a carcass preserve the carcass as well? There seems to be
> dearth in prey species at the Cleveland-Lloyd Quarry, restricted to
> *Stegosaurus,* *Camptosaurus,* and *Camarasaurus,* with a dominance
> of
> *Allosaurus* at 2/3 of recovered fossils. The other 1/3 also
> includes
> several species of theropod apart from *Allosaurus.* Predator
> dominated
> areas would seem to be more like a caching site, wouldn't they?

Jaime, not sure what you mean by "catching site" but there are a number
of herbivore carcasses present especially given their large body sizes
(1/4 of the fauna).  Further there is evidence that the predators were
also feeding on themselves (tooth marks on allosaur bones).

PS:  I havent forgotten that I owe you some pictures, sorry for being so
delinquent, thanks for your patience!
Lindsay