[no subject]

See new behind-the-scenes photos of the work upcoming traveling exhibit, "Dinosaurs: Ancient Fossils, New Discoveries," which will feature a diorama of the Jehol Biota of Liaoning, China, famous for its fossils of Early Cretaceous feathered dinosaurs, numerous birds, complete basal metatherian and eutherian mammals, fish, reptiles, amphibians, arthropods, basal angiosperms -- you name it.

This display will bring the Mesozoic to life as never before, placing dinosaurs within the appropriate ecological context. Liaoning's phenomenal fossil deposits are enabling the artists and preparators to finally give the world a glimpse of the biodiversity of terrestrial ecosystems in the age of dinosaurs.

The Jehol Biota have so many stories to tell, and frequent new discoveries coming out of Liaoning continue to add to our understanding of Mesozoic biology, ecology, taphonomy, trophic interactions, systematics, and the course of evolution leading up to the world as we know it. "Dinosaurs: Ancient Fossils, New Discoveries" will be a dream come true for museum patrons and for the host museums.

There is also apparently a mechanical sauropod armature. (I had thought that it was going to be a tyrannosaurid). I'm skeptical about the orientation of the hindlimbs of _Microraptor gui_, the "four winged dinosaur," but the functional anatomy of this animal is not fully understood, and will likely be the subject of debate for some time to come.

The exhibit opens May 14th, 2005 at the American Museum of Natural History, and will later appear in Houston, San Francisco, Chicago, and Raleigh, North Carolina.
--------
"Dino Guy" Ralph W. Miller III
proud member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology