Behind the Scenes with Dinosaurs: Ancient Fossils, New Discoveries

Please forgive and disregard the previous incomplete message.

Click on over to http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/dinosaurs/bts.php?image=14#cap
to see new behind-the-scenes photos of the work going into the upcoming
traveling exhibit, "Dinosaurs: Ancient Fossils, New Discoveries," which
will feature a diorama of the Jehol Biota of Liaoning, China, famous for
its fossils of Early Cretaceous feathered dinosaurs, numerous birds,
complete basal metatherian and eutherian mammals, fish, reptiles,
amphibians, arthropods, basal angiosperms -- you name it.

This display will bring the Mesozoic to life as never before, placing
dinosaurs within the appropriate ecological context. Liaoning's phenomenal
fossil deposits are enabling the artists and preparators to finally give the
world a glimpse of the biodiversity of terrestrial ecosystems in the age of
dinosaurs.

The Jehol Biota have so many stories to tell, and frequent new discoveries
coming out of Liaoning continue to add to our understanding of Mesozoic
biology, ecology, taphonomy, trophic interactions, systematics, and the
course of evolution leading up to the world as we know it.  "Dinosaurs:
Ancient Fossils, New Discoveries" will be a dream come true for museum
patrons and for the host museums.

There is also apparently a mechanical sauropod armature.  (I had thought
that it was going to be a tyrannosaurid).  I'm skeptical about the
orientation of the hindlimbs of _Microraptor gui_, the "four winged
dinosaur," but the functional anatomy of this animal is not fully
understood, and will likely be the subject of debate for some time to come.

The exhibit opens May 14th, 2005 at the American Museum of Natural
History, and will later appear in Houston, San Francisco, Chicago, and
Raleigh, North Carolina.
--------
"Dino Guy" Ralph W. Miller III
proud member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology