RE: Thecodontia defined and saurischian Marasuchus

Mickey Mortimer wrote:

Thecodontia (Protorosaurus + Thecodontosaurus)
Suppose there is such thing as a thecodont now, and it's a
heterodefinitional synonym of Archosauromorpha.

Ughhh!!! Just when I thought "Thecodontia" had been expunged from the paleontological literature, it comes back - dragging a phylogenetic definition behind it. After saying for the past 30 years that birds DID NOT evolve from thecodonts, now we can say they DID. Well, sort of.

Were protorosaurs,
rhynchosaurs and trilophosaurs ever thought of as thecodonts?  I figured
they were eosuchians or something back in the day.

I believe that trilophosaurs and protorosaurs were indeed called eosuchians 'back in the day'.

Ornithosuchia (Ornithosuchus <- Crocodylus, Vultur)

Nice to see that _Ornithosuchus_ is back in the Ornithosuchia.

Ornithodira (Vultur + Pterosaurus)
Well, the absence of a Pterosaurus invalidates this name and the next two.

Yeah, that's a snafu. Maybe he meant _Pterodactylus_.

Pachypodosauria (Morosaurus <- Allosaurus)
And Morosaurus is used instead of Camarasaurus why?  Interesting idea for
the stem-sauropodomorph group though.

I believe the clade Pachypodosauria was erected by Cooper (1985) for Sauropodomorpha. Like you, I cannot fathom why he used _Morosaurus_ as a specifier.

Sauropodomorpha (Plateosaurus + Morosaurus)

Under this definition, taxa such as _Thecodontosaurus_ could be excluded from the Sauropodomorpha, if they are outside of the clade bracketed by _Plateosaurus_ and _Camarasaurus_. Personally, I'd like to see 'Brontosauria' revived as a clade.

Finally, there's details about an Abaporu loricatus, which may be a new name
for Prestosuchus loricatus.

This is an interesting name. There is a famous Brazilian painting named 'Abaporu'. The name itself is Guarani (South American tribe) for "man who eats".

I think the type species for _Prestosuchus_ is _P. chiniquensis_, so _Abaporu loricatus_ might be a new genus and combination.

Tim