RE: Thecodontia defined and saurischian Marasuchus

Correct, in both The Dinosaur Heresies, and as Bakker et al. in the
Nanotyrannus paper in Hunteria. This is the reason Padian,
Hutchinson and I explicitly hung the name on Ceratosaurus rather than
Coelophysis, and why I was unhappy with the Sereno definition.

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Tim Williams
>
> >Pachypodosauria (Morosaurus <- Allosaurus)
> >And Morosaurus is used instead of Camarasaurus why?  Interesting idea for
> >the stem-sauropodomorph group though.
>
> I believe the clade Pachypodosauria was erected by Cooper (1985) for
> Sauropodomorpha.

Pachypodosauria itself was coined by von Huene in 19... something (have to go
check): a group comprising Carnosauria ("modern"
carnosauria plus megalosaurs) plus Sauropodomorpha but excluding Coelurosauria
(his version: the amalgam of coelophysoids,
Ceratosaurus, and "modern"-type coelurosaurs (including tyrannosaurs),
exclusive of birds). He concieved of Pachypodosauria as
monophyletic, with carnosaurs actually being phylogenetically closer to
sauropodomorphs than to coelurosaurs.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
        Mailing Address: