RE: Kenya's first dinosaurs

Guy Leahy wrote:

> NAIROBI (AFP) - Scientists on Kenya's first scientific dinosaur expedition have unearthed hundreds of bones in an area
> previously known for the discovery of ancient human remains, team members said.
>
> Kenyan and US paleontologists conducting the dig said they found more than 200 dinosaur specimens, including three from
> large carnivorous theropods thought to be related to the fearsome Tyrannosaurus Rex, in northwestern Kenya.

Wow! I guess we'll be hearing a lot from that formation in the years to come :-)
I know that this here last phrase is an oversimplification, but since Stokesosaurus and Aviatyrannis do exist in the Late Jurassic, wouldn't it be interesting if one of these turns out to be a Gondwanan counterpart of the Tyrannosauroidea? But probably one should read there: abelisauroid, basal tetanuran, allosauroid and basal coelurosaur.

> a smaller bodied, two-legged herbivore akin to a duck-billed dinosaur, Sampson
> said in a preliminary report on the expedition.

Probably akin either to Camptosaurus or Ouranosaurus...

> In the years that followed, visitors to the "Turkana Grits," a rock formation on the western shore of Lake Turkana near
> the town of Lokitaung, reported seeing unusual bone fragments but no scientific dinosaur expedition was conducted there
> until last year, according to Sampson.

Is there anywhere where we can know the age of this formation? I'm guessing Cretaceous.

Renato Santos