Re: Snake venom has new origins.

A gene got expressed in a wrong place... that's a mutation... then came
selection... :-)

My thoughts exactly, though I was under the impression that venom-producing
tissue was derived from enamel-producing pits along the snakes' jaws. That
got me doubting that the gland venom was itself a derived salival gland,
though on hindsight the enamel-producing tissue could have been expressed or
migrated elsewere during development.

The discovery here is not about where the _tissue_ comes from. It is that a totally different part of the animal than before now expresses a certain gene.