Re: need a 2nd opinion, Tamaulipasaurus

David Peters (davidrpeters@earthlink.net) wrote:

<Tamaulipasaurus>

  If sphenodontians can redevelope a lower temporal arch, then so can any
other animal, so the premise of Clark and Hernandez on this point is no
longer a most parsimonious assessment of the situation, at least with
regards to lepidosaurs. But it does show that if disparate animals can
develop similar physical features of the skull (as in caecilian amphibians
with hyperossified skulls [for amphibians], dibamids and amphisbaenians,
the more ambiguous *Sineoamphisbaena*, and *Tamaulipasaurus*) for
apparently similar physical environments, then others can as well. I
wouldn't be surprised if some captorhinomorphs were partially fossorial
given their cranial anatomy, or perhaps even the basal parareptilians,
like owenettids.

Jaime A. Headden