RE: the extracolumella

David Peters (DPeters@kupperparker.com) wrote:

<Is it the homolog of the quadratojugal?>

  Most certainly not. It's present in cranes at least, other birds as Hope
suggests, snakes like *Dinilysia,* lizards like chameleons and geckoes,
among others. Apparently it's present in frogs (called the extrastapes),
and always as a form of hardened or semi-ossified cartilage. There is no
homology with animals having a quadratojugal but no extracolumella, or
vice versa.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden