For the Artists: Chas.R.Knight Money

A  bit off-topic,  forgive me, but a discussion on the vrtpaleo list reminded
me of this rather  obscure but important story. In 1901 Charles Knight went
down to Washington D.C.  and the Smithsonian to work with F.A. Lucas on a
series of restorations which  included the famous model and painting of
Triceratops
and Stegosaurus. While  there, a series of events led to Knight taking part
in the design of a ten  dollar bill. An engraving of his wash drawing of a bull
bison was sandwiched  between portraits of Lewis and Clark. Glut and Czerkas
quote Knight in their  biography, "My original bison sketch and a buffalo
nickel will get you a ride on  any street car in New York City, but the
engraved
imitation is good for a dinner  at Delmonicos". Now the engraved imitation is
worth  $4,000.
See:
http://usrarecurrency.com/1901$10UnitedStatesNoteBisonBuffaloCU64SnE9896402.ht
And: