Re: Evolution of sleep

<<REM sleep is much more common. Crocodiles and very young birds show it,
and I forgot what else.>>

I wouldn't be surprised about that, David.  However, the question concerned
only mammals.

<<Sleep per se is common to all... vertebrates?>>

This must be another interesting question, because I don't know the answer
either.  Happily, there's a good chance somebody else will be able to
enlighten us both.  That's the great thing about ignorance.  It leaves
plenty of room for learning new stuff.
Cheers
Trevor

Mesozoic Eucynodonts
http://home.arcor.de/ktdykes/meseucaz.htm
The Mesozoic - more than just the dinosaur.