Re: Evolution of sleep

To expand the question:
Assuming sleep correlates with sharply reduced
alertness/awareness, what is the across-the-board
selective advantage of unconsciousness that prevents
at least some vertebrate animals from evolving always
on status relative to mental awareness? Or if there
are some, why are they rare?

Is it a systemic weakness that selection cannot
overcome? I can rest w/out sleeping, but sleep I will,
even in the face of certain death.

Don

--- K and T Dykes <ktdykes@arcor.de> wrote:
> <<REM sleep is much more common. Crocodiles and very
> young birds show it,
> and I forgot what else.>>
>
> I wouldn't be surprised about that, David.  However,
> the question concerned
> only mammals.
>
> <<Sleep per se is common to all... vertebrates?>>
>
> This must be another interesting question, because I
> don't know the answer
> either.  Happily, there's a good chance somebody
> else will be able to
> enlighten us both.  That's the great thing about
> ignorance.  It leaves
> plenty of
 room for learning new stuff.