Re: Evolution of sleep

So has anyone thought of this possible reasoning for
the evolution of sleep (or its continued existance)?

What about the energy required to maintain a high
"alertness level" 24-7?  Could it not be simply that
sleep is a energy conservation mesure?
As an illustration:  My pet cat is only fully awake
maybe 6 hours out of the day, and that time is spent
patroling her territory, hunting (mice, birds, bugs,
and food bowls), and "socializing."  My speculation is
that she sleeps between "hunts" in order to conserve
her energy and minimize the number of forays necessary
to aquire enough food to survive.  Think about it:
when your bloodsugar starts to drop in the late
afternoon, many people start to get drowsy and want to
take a nap.  Eating a snack can keep one awake (even
through a boring lecture..not that any of us have a
problem with that :p ).  Taking a nap doesn't negate
the need to uptake more energy, but it can postpone
it.

Just some thoughts,

Eric Allen
Undergraduate, TTU