Re: Evolution of sleep (joke)

I forgot about jokesters and new parents too. I am assuming from the responses to date, no one is aware of vertebrates that do not go through some form of brain inactivity related to sleep and that there is an obvious evolutionary bias toward animals maintaining sleep as a recovery period. This whole thread started out as a discussion about hibernation providing a safe passage across the K/T boundary. I am thinking that eliminating stress would be a survival strategy that would provide additional energy reserves for other purposes. Both short term naps and long term hibernation suffice for that function. I suspect that along with there not being one cause for the extinction of large dinosaurs at the K/T, there is not one cause for the survival of other groups through the K/T. Nature is full of experiments and what ever one works, gets passed on.
Frank Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming