Re: Hibernating Dinosaurs?

In a message dated 3/17/2005 10:18:35 AM Alaskan Standard Time,
twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com writes:

>> As for the Australian/Antarctic dinosaur thing raised by Kris.  There is
no
direct evidence of hibernation (or aestivation) in Australo-Antarctican
dinosaurs.  However, since a large chunk of this combined mega-continent lay
within the Antarctic Circle, any dinosaurs (and we know they lived here
during the Cretaceous) would have had to contend with very cool, very long
and very dark polar winters.  This has led to speculation that if any
non-avian dinosaurs survived the K/T extinction, they may have lived Down
Under.

I've nothing about a hibernating ornithomimid (unless someone suggested that
_Timimus_ hibernated).  The large eyes of _Leallynasaura_ have been regarded
as an adaptation to seeing in the dark; but it could just as equally be a
juvenile trait.<<

Alright... That's the type of stuff I was curious about. So basically, it's
all conjecture. Tis what I thought.

Thanks.

Kris
http://hometown.aol.com/saurierlagen/Paleo-Photography.html