Re: Hibernating Dinosaurs?

Kris Kripchak (MariusRomanus@aol.com) wrote:

<Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I believe that LAGs were it.
I  was curious as to if there was anything else out there supporting it.>

  Well, it all started with sectioning dinosaur bones from Dinosaur Cove
in New South Wales, Australia, wherein these "typically reptilian" bones
exhibited lines of arrested growth when in normal poikilotherms or
ectotherms, they did NOT. This suggested periods of stalled growth. To the
authors (the Riches and Flannery) this implied a correlation with the
seasons of an arctic environment, in which the dinosaurs would have been
aestivating, as in mammals. Seasonal cessation of bone deposition and
increase in resorption (causing LAGs) occurs in non-hibernating animals,
and in animals wherein attrition usually occurs without aestivation, and
this all suggests  "lean times" and can imply hibernation. The research
has gotten weaker with the finding of LAGs in some tropical and
subtropical animals that do not undergo seasonal atrition or hibernation,
but so far it's a pretty nice suggestion. As for the K-T, yes, I agree
with Kris: this really hasn't much to do with the Antarctic/Australian
condition, given this records a regular seasonal problem in animals from
either the Lower Jurassic of Antarctica or the "middle" Cretaceous of
Australia.

  Comparing LAGs of dinosaurs from across latitudes would be an
interesting research topic....

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden