Re: Hibernating Dinosaurs?

MariusRomanus@aol.com wrote:

> What's the current opinion about the idea of hibernating dinosaurs from
> Australia/Antarctica? The only thing I can find is mention of a possible
> hibernating ornithomimid, but I can't find any substantial reasons that
> support the
> claim.

See:

Chinsamy, A., T.H.Rich & P.Vickers-Rich 1998 Polar dinosaur bone
histology. Journal of Vertebrate Paleotology18:385
Constantine, A., A.Chinsamy, T.H.Rich, & P.Vickers-Rich. 1998.
Periglacial environments and polar dinosaurs. South African Journal of
Science
94:137-141.
Vickers-Rich, P., T.H.Rich 2000 Dinosaurs of Darkness. Indiana
University Press

The presence of LAGs in Timimus (which may not be an ornithomimid) was
used as evidence for hibernation. Such LAGs are not present in
hypsilophodontids like Leaellynasaura, leading the authors to suggest
they may have been active all year round (the enlarged optical lobes of
Leaellynasaura sited as a possible adaptation to constant winter
darkness).

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.soffiles.com