Re: new dinosaurs and 16 Foot Man Eating Croc Caught In Uganda

--- Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Tim Donovan wrote:
>
> >Then the scenario of Carr and Williamson (above)
> can't be true.
> >Albertosaurus-like tyrannosaurs existed in the east
> in the early Campanian
> >but apparently became extinct and were replaced by
> basal tyrannosauroids
> >from elsewhere-possibly Europe, given the
> similarity of Betasuchus to
> >Dryptosaurus.
>
> _Betasuchus_ is based solely on a femur, which is
> incomplete and poorly
> preserved.  The _Dryptosaurus_-_Betasuchus_ link
> must be considered tenuous.
>   For example, other authors have considered
> _Betasuchus_ to be a possible
> abelisaur.

 Doesn't appear likely. See JVP September 1997 page
571. "The femur of D. aquiluguis resembles that of B.
bredai much more closely that that of the abelisaurid
T. salluvicus..." Interestngly the authors then say
"The problems associated with superficial resemblance
is another reason to question the significance of the
Albertosaurus-like appearance of the alleged
Dryptosaurus femur from North Carolina." But
Albertosaurus-like tyrannosaurs were present.

> I still don't see why both tyrannosauroid lineages
> (_Dryptosaurus_ and
> albertosaurines) could not have been home-grown.

  That would've been likely only if the Dryptosaurus
environment were isolated, which doesn't appear to
have been the case. I'd expect the more advanced types
to supplant the basal ones, just like in the west.
Dryptosaurus was large enough to have competed for the
same niche.

   On the subject of the man eating croc, it seems
like only yesterday that the Nile crocodiles of Uganda
were on the verge of extinction, with few left in the
Murchison falls area. Just like in Malawi and
elsewhere, they've apparently made such a comeback
that they're again sometimes dangerous.