Re: new dinosaurs and 16 Foot Man Eating Croc Caught In Uganda

--- David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> > I'd expect the more advanced types
> > to supplant the basal ones, just like in the west.
>
> Why do you think they had the same niche?

  Dryptosaurus was fairly large, maybe 7m, and I
assume hadrosaurs were the principal prey for any top
predator in the east. There apparently were no large
ceratopsids or sauropods.

> *Dryptosaurus* retained an
> extra-large thumb claw. It clearly did something
> that tyrannosaurids didn't
> do.

  Maybe it relied on its manual claws to catch and
kill hadrosaurs whereas tyrannosaurs relied on their
jaws.