RE: Vampire Bats Run

Funny you should mention this, given the article I just picked up for our
functional morphology group discussion tomorrow. . .it's by the same group
who did the bat running paper. Of course, this paper is just looking at
hindlimbs; it'd be nice to do a comparable study for forelimbs (I seem to
recall it may even be in the works--not sure).

Riskin, D. K., J. E. A. Bertram, and J. W. Hermanson. 2005. Testing the
hindlimb-strength hypothesis: non-aerial locomotion by Chiroptera is not
constrained by the dimensions of the femur or tibia. Journal of Experimental
Biology 208:1309-1319.

Last sentence from the abstract:

Our results show that the legs of poorly crawling bats should be able to
withstand the forces produced during coordinated crawling of the type
used by the agile vampires, and this indicates that some mechanism other
than hindlimb bone thickness, such as myology of the pectoral girdle, limits
the ability of most bats to crawl.