Re: Mesozoic birds

"Ian Paulsen" <birdbooker@zipcon.net>wrote:

Is there a book out there along the lines: A Field Guide to Mesozoic
Birds?

No, there is not such a book.

There is, however, a nice fat collection of papers on Mesozoic bird systematics and evolution, with technical papers dedicated to selected taxa, entitled _Mesozoic Birds: Above the Heads of Dinosaurs_, edited by Luis M. Chiappe and Lawrence M. Witmer.

See also _Picture Book of Chinese Fossil Birds_ at http://www.hceis.com/book.asp?id=777. I haven't seen this book in person, but similar books I have ordered from China have featured excellent photos of the fossils along with painted restorations (some more accurate than others) and _very_ brief descriptions.

Along similar lines, see numerous sample illustrations from _Fossil Birds of China_ at http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~cmchuong/fossil_birds_of_china.htm#Sample%20Pages, another book you might enjoy.

I hope this helps.

--------
"Dino Guy" Ralph W. Miller III
proud member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology