RE: T. rex Blood Vessels

At 12:50 PM -0700 3/24/05, Ken.Carpenter@dmns.org wrote:
>Isn't this old news being redone?

No. I've heard the paper was in the works for a while, but they results are new
for public release. The samples came from a T. rex femur which was intact when
discovered, with hollow interior that was not infilled with minerals.
Schweitzer dissolved the calcium minerals in the bone to get the soft tissue.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7195

No word on protein sequences or DNA. I'd expect protein sequences to follow,
but not DNA, which doesn't hold up well.

-- Jeff Hecht

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com; http://www.jeffhecht.com