Re: T-Rex soft tissue?

I know, for example, that there were various projects that were going on (I don't know if they still are) to revive various extinct species, but they pose an interesting idea. I'm a high-school student and I did various projects involving this. One of which involved brief research in reviving extinct mammals- the Tasmanian Tiger, through a preserved juvenile. Another case was done by Japanese scientists who intended to clone wooly mammoths from frozen remains and semen. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3075381.stm). They were unsure whether to carry on with the cloning or not due to various issues (diseases the mammoths could potentially carry, etc.). I know that over time DNA fragments, and becomes useless. Would it be possible to clone a dinosaur and have it thrive with the current plants and environments if a scientist found a good sample in the bones, just like how scientists unearthed the Tyrannosaurus tissue? Just trying to quell my curiosity...

Tyler

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Allen" <erallen@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 8:52 PM
Subject: Re: T-Rex soft tissue?

Furthermore, cloning animals is really, really hard to
do.  To my knowledge, no one has managed to clone a
bird or reptile (yet).  Dinosaurs and other extinct
animals produce other problems as well.

--- frank bliss <frank@blissnet.com> wrote:
You might be able to get proteins/ protein fragments
but certainly not
complete DNA.  You would separate out the components
and inject them
into living tissue cultures to see what antibodies
appear.  You could
then work backwards to figure out what proteins are
present. Useful,
but hardly a Jurassic Park cloning experiment.
Frank Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston Wyoming
On Mar 24, 2005, at 3:10 PM, Tyler Kerr wrote:

> Does this mean that you could extract DNA and
potentially clone a

<kggkoberman@comcast.net>