Re: T-Rex soft tissue?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Tim Williams wrote:
> >Would it be possible to clone a dinosaur [snip]
>
> No.  Ain't gonna happen.
>
> While on the topic of animals coming back from the dead...
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/A-Tassie-tiger-Its-the-3m-question/2005/03/25/1111692630684.html
>
> Shows a Kodak moment featuring a camera-shy thylacine (Tasmanian tiger).
> Either this is a monumental discovery, or somebody is perpetrating a
> malicious hoax.  I know where I'd put my money.

The article refers to "two digital images" of the alledged Tas. I've read
in the past (don't have a link handy) that photoshopping leaves "traces"
of any manipulation. OTOH, it's not clear to me from the article that
these were taken with a digital camera. They might have been taken with a
regular camera and then scanned. The experiment by the paper's photo
editor does cast a great deal of doubt whatever type of camera was used.

Looks like they should have looked for tracks.

Another link

 http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2005/s1312642.htm

refers to them as digital photos and has an interview with wildlife
officer Nick Mooney. This whole thing is suspicious.

ANNIE GUEST: The two digital photographs have come to light in such a
mysterious way that it would be easy to dismiss it as a grab for limelight
or cash.

A man claiming to be the brother of a German tourist who took the
photographs approached The Age newspaper, which flew him to Tasmania so
experts could examine his photographs.

The man would not allow the Department of Primary Industries to copy the
images to examine their authenticity, but Biologist Nick Mooney remains
enthused.

NICK MOONEY: The brother of the person who claims to have taken the
pictures brought the pictures down to Hobart and a few members of staff of
the museum and myself examined the pictures, then they took them away
again.

ANNIE GUEST: That seems a bit strange, first of all that the brother came
and not the person who actually took the photographs.

NICK MOONEY: They have their own reasons no doubt.

ANNIE GUEST: Why wouldn't they give you the photographs to copy?

NICK MOONEY: They have their own reasons, and presumably they may be to do
with copyright on the photos and money.