Re: More soft tissue references

I don't see how broken material exposed to migrating ground water would be useful in this kind of examination. ANY modern contamination would throw off the spectrometers and the tissue cultures. Sealed bone might provide a time capsule for the organics inside but I would bet big money that very little else would. Porous bone fragments would certainly be contaminated by any impurities traveling through the bedrock. However, I bet that this kind of time capsule is not unique by any means. I imagine that there is a combination of events that could lead to more of this type of bone preservation being found by looking for more bones that were recovered deep, of a certain size and type, surrounded by lots of impermeable rock and that were removed from oxygen very soon after burial. OK granted, I suppose by chance situation, any bone fragment could preserve organic remains if there was a sealed cavity within. A significant portion of petrified wood often has partially replaced material on board. Why not bone. Wood is pretty tough to break down though.

I also don't think that this will give any fuel to those literal folks that grasp at straws to promote recent burial. There is nothing contradictory to conventional geologic process here. Just a sealed time capsule from the distant past. Without oxygen and bacterial action, there is nothing to break down the tissues period. Presumably the sealed bone was biologically sterile (except for virus' possibly) upon burial. My only problem with the perfect sealed container idea is that blood supply vessels got into the bone marrow through holes in the bone which must have been sealed immediately by euxinic mud or similar biologically sterile, non oxygen permeable muck. All bone has a blood supply pathway built in I think. Does anyone know of non-vascular bone?
Frank Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming