From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
To: "dinosaur" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 10:08 AM
Subject: Want to see one of the greatest collection of theropods ever
assembled? Head to Japan!

> Greetings,
>
> I am just back from Japan and the opening of a truly world-class dinosaur
exhibition. Namely, Dino Expo 2005: The Evolution of
> Dinosaurs from Their Origins to Birds. A joint project of the National
Science Museum (Tokyo) and Asahi Shinbun, with contributions
> from a half-dozen or so institutions from around the world, Dino Expo 2005
is in Tokyo until July, when it moves to Nagoya as part
> of a larger Expo.
>
> Among the real specimens on display are:
> Holotypes of:
> Rugops primus (just maxilla)
> Dilong paradoxus (and referred bits)
> Harpymimus okladnikovi
> Incisivosaurus gautheri
> Pedopenna daohugouensis
> Mei long
> Sinornithoides youngi
> Microraptor gui
> Jeholornis prima
> Sapeornis chaoyangensis
> Protopteryx fengningensis
> Longipteryx chaoyangensis
> Yanornis martini (and referred specimen)
>
> Undescribed referred specimens of Sinovenator changii, Sinosauropteryx
prima, Tarbosaurus bataar, Ingenia yanshini, Mononykus
> olecranus.
>
> The "pterosaur-in-the-egg" specimen.
>
> "Scotty" the T. rex, and restored skull.
>
> The T. rex coprolite.
>
> First ever displayed mounts of (composite) Majungatholus and
Masiakasaurus.

> Casts of Eoraptor, Herrerasaurus, Rugops, Baryonyx, Allosaurus,
Tyrannosaurus (including "Sue"), Alxasaurus, Archaeopteryx,
> Rahonavis.
>
> Some modern birds, including some of Darwin's pigeons.
>
> Various bits and pieces from Japanese theropods.
>
> In attendance for the opening ceremony, the round table
discussion/presentations, and a public lecture were (in no particular order)
> Paul Sereno, Luis Chiappe, Rinchen Barsbold, Xu Xing, Dale Russell, Peter
Dodson, Peter Makovicky, Susan Hendrickson, Anthony
> Bryant, David Krause, Mark Norell, Scott Sampson, myself, Kirk Johnson,
and numerous Japanese paleontologists and graduate students.