Re: Bird necks

Daniel Bensen wrote:

> Looking at skeletons of ancient birds... I am continuously surprised by their
> short little necks... they must have had a hell of a time looking around.

Owls have fairly short necks, and they can turn their heads more than
180 degrees.

On the other hand, sauropods had no shortage of cervical vertebrae, but
their range of motion is said to have been extremely restricted.

It seems that where necks are concerned, short does not necessarily mean
inflexible.

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.soffiles.com